Pedro is a unicorn hunter: for the third time, he joined a pre-unicorn startup that has ended up reaching a one billion dollar valuation later on. Currently, he’s at Salsify helping brands such as Coca-Cola or Unilever navigate the complexity of retail systems worldwide.
As an active community builder and public speaker, Pedro can often be found delivering talks on engineering leadership (check this one on DevDays
) or organizing events for CTO Portugal
This month, I decided to record the conversation
with our guest and share it here “podcast style”. It becomes obvious pretty quickly that Pedro is an expert at these things and I’m still a bit of a newbie. But hey, it can only get better from here!
Some of the topics we discussed:
- Being part of three startups that became unicorns: Farfetch, Talkdesk and Salsify
- Remote-work and the rise of the Portuguese tech scene
- Pedro’s main goal of being an enabler and unlocker of people potential
- KPIs as an engineering leader
- Operating without a dedicated QA function
- Salsify’s stack: Ruby, AWS, Kubernetes, Kafka, and more
- Managed services and the build Vs. buy dilemma
- CTO Portugal community